Sunday, November 24, 2013

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary




Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary

Ever since I was 7 years old, I loved Mary Poppins. Growing up, it was one of my favorite Disney movies ever, with its musical numbers and songs, Julie Andrews, the colorful animated sequence, and the whole story, about a father who’s too busy that he can never spend time with his kids, but in the end, realizes the error of his ways and goes to fly kites with his family. This scene still makes me want to cry, when I see Jane and Michael s faces.




 Even now, at 17 years old, I still love it. I catch things I didn’t get as a kid, now that I fully understand what they mean, and the songs have aged well with time. As does the movie itself. Even though it’s not high-end special effects, some of them still hold up and keep me guessing how it was done. Guess I shouldn’t go too into them; I wouldn’t want to spoil the magic.
Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, David Tomlinson, and Ed Wynn all do outstanding. As do Glynis Johns, Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber! " I love to Laugh" is my mom's favorite songs, she loves to see Uncle Albert laughing lifts him up and sadness brings him down. 



The music is for me is AMAZING. These songs are so memorable, and so catchy, you can’t help but hum them.
My personal favorites were always Sister Suffragette; Feed the Birds, and Jolly Holiday.
And here’s some interesting trivia about the music. Originally The Sherman Brothers wrote at least 30 unused songs that were going to be used in the movie, but all were either scraped, incorporated into other songs, or used in other movies. The Sherman Brothers are amazing song-writers, and their songs will stay with me all of my life! 
The Sherman Brothers music was honored this year at the D23 EXPO. Richard Sherman (the only remaining Brother) along with Alan Menken performed songs from their songbooks at the D23 EXPO. That would have been so AMAZING to have seen. Ok,  lets go back to Mary Poppins.
Very cute trivia about the scene when Mary Poppins pours the medicine into the spoon and it changes colors. Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber weren't told about the "surprises" that might happen on set, so when Mary pours the medicine and it turns green, Jane's little squeal is real.
 I think that's is the cutest thing ever, that her reactions were of a little girl that was truly surprised!




 Julie Andrews was always Walt Disney's choice to be Mary Poppins. In 1963 Walt Disney asked Julie Andrews to play Mary Poppins, she was a Broadway Stage Actress before making movies. She did get P.L. Travers approval to play Mary Poppins via a phone call, after Julie Andrews had given birth to her daughter Emma.
 In 1964 Julie Andrews did win the Academy Award for Best Actress for playing 'Mary Poppins'. 
Without a doubt this was the best choice and I couldn't ever imagine a better person to play Mary. 


 So, now that we are about a month before the release of  "Saving Mr.Banks" , I wanted to share my excitement about the film being released with my little Tribute. I am very excited to see the movie and see how Walt Disney actually convinced P.L. Travers into allowing him to make her book into his vision of
Mary Poppins. Another epic Movie for my Holiday list for this year with my family.




  I just wanted to add that this week was the passing of Walt Disneys daughter Diane Disney Miller. Both of Walt Disneys daughters were the reason that he wanted to make Mary Poppins because they wanted him too. So for the Disney/Miller family this is a sad time but with " Saving Mr. Banks", they will have some happiness to see their Grandpa's dream become reality. Thank you Diane and Sharon for asking your dad Walt Disney to make "Mary Poppins".



 Mary Poppins holds a special place in my heart as being one of my favorite Disney movies from when I was little, and it’s still one of the best movies ever in my opinion. It’s definitely supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus!



 See Ya Real Soon, 
Sunni 
follow us on Twitter and Facebook at Disneys fun 4 us !!
Website opening soon !!!  






1 comment:

  1. if you like trivia. that picture you posted of the tea party scene with Mathew Garber is not actually Mr Garber. Mathew was quite afraid of heights. I was also 6 years old like Matthew but wasent, so I was his standin and stunt double for those scenes. I was hired as a double but it was later realized that being on wires in the air deserves stuntmans pay. They couldnt very well put a six year old in the stuntmans union so they didnt really acknowledge me for such even though my mother says I was compensated with the right pay for such.
    My Name is Rick Farrow and I did several small parts and lots of commercials as a child actor but working at age 6 for disney was a treat.
    I remember wearing a itchy wig to play matthew.

    ReplyDelete